Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

teach my grandson the beginnings of arc welding

I want to teach my grandson the beginnings of arc welding. I understand the proper protective equioment and techniques because I used to be a welder. I am not attempting to make him into a welder but will probably spend less than 20 hours just introducing him to it. My brother says that someone under 14 year of age should not be taught welding because "his eyes aren't developed enough". What are you thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. By the age of 14, your grandson's eyes should be developed enough to not be concerned about affecting the overall development of his visual system. I do not see any reason why he cannot be exposed to learning this trade provided all of the proper equipment and techniques for safety are followed. I think you are okay to proceed. Does this help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.