Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Five weeks now after a trabeculectomy, my vision is still blurry.

Five weeks now after a trabeculectomy, my vision is still blurry. My doctor says this is normal. Please advise.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I can understand how this may be quite unsettling for you to still have blurry vision 5 weeks after this surgery. Unfortunately, sometimes it can take several weeks to months before the vision starts to return to its baseline level; so while it is very frustrating, I'm sure, it is not entirely unexpected.

If it has been longer than three months and the vision is still not improving, then a thorough exam should be performed to determine why this may be. A common cause for the vision not to return to its baseline level is the formation of a cataract associated with the surgery.

I hope that has been helpful. Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.