Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have had surgery to correct Strabism- lazy eye but it was

I have had surgery to correct Strabism- lazy eye but it was not 100% effective. If I have the surgery again and it is not corrected. Is there a possibility of doing a third surgery? I also have Myopia- is there a connection to the Strabism- specifically because the Myopia is strong the corrective Strabism will not work? Can Lasik surgery correct the strong Myopia?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Sometimes people who have strabismus surgery can see a regression in the effects of the surgery. This can happen anywhere from a few months after to many years after and that is not uncommon. If you have a second surgery and it is successful initially, but then you find you need more correction in the future, it is usually possible to do surgery a third time to correct it.

Most of the time myopia is not specifically connected to strabismus. Just because you have significant myopia doesn't mean that this causes strabismus; the two are usually unrelated. Hyperopia (or farsightedness) is a different story--it is many times associated with strabismus.

I think it is certainly within reason to seek a different opinion and possibly a different surgeon for the next surgery; second opinions give you a difference of opinion and will help you to feel more comfortable with whatever option you seek and there's really no risk in doing it outside of the expense.

Yes, laser surgery can often times correct the myopia, but then, as I alluded to before, I still don't think that doing this would have a significant effect on the strabismus.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.