Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Yesterday I was attempting to use hand sanitizer, but the remnants

Yesterday I was attempting to use hand sanitizer, but the remnants of gel in the nozzle had dried and formed a plug. When I pushed down the plug and a large amount of gel shot into my eye. I rinsed my eye with water over and over for about a half an hour. Some of the redness went away. . . There was a lot of pus forming in the eye afterwards. This morning I woke to dried pus. The eye is still pretty red and the lid is somewhat swollen. It feels like I was punched in the face. I asked my pharmacist to recommend an over the contact solution to alleviate the dryness and redness. She recommended that I see a physician. My doctor has not answered my call. How urgent is it that I see a doctor? Should I go to the emergency room? Can it wait until tomorrow evening? What are the possible repercussions of not seeing a doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Most hand sanitizers are alcohol-based and therefore concentrated alcohol was likely a large component of what hit your eye. Alcohol on the cornea usually causes corneal abrasions (scratches); this could explain your symptoms which are consistent with a scratch or an infected scratch (ulcer).

Until you can see the ophthalmologist, I would suggest using preservative-free artificial tears (don't use the kind that says "get-the-red-out" or "redness-reliever"), every hour while you're awake. But I do recommend that you see the ophthalmologist as soon as you can because the chances of infection are considerably greater because of contact lens use.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology