Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi Im 30 years old, and both my eyes feel sort of sore at the

Hi Im 30 years old, and both my eyes feel sort of sore at the top of the eyes. Started saturday and is giving me headache, resting my eyes doesnt seem to help either. SHould I be concerned? Thanks

Hello and thanks for your question. One of the most common causes for this bilateral eye soreness is prolonged focusing, or eye strain. If you do a lot of reading, computer work, or other activities where you are doing a fair amount of focusing, this can cause this eye soreness. Some things to help this are taking frequent focusing breaks (looking in the distance for 30 seconds, every 10 minutes while doing near activities), working in well-lit conditions, and also making sure to use whatever prescription lenses you have (glasses or contact lenses) that will help make things the clearest.

In addition, dry eyes can also cause this sensation. One of the easiest things to do to start treating dry eyes (presumptively) is using artificial tears 4x/day for 2-3 weeks consistently. The dry eyes can be exacerbated also by doing activities that are associated with your eyes being open for longer periods of time than normal (reading, watching tv, computer work, etc.).

Generally this isn't a concerning symptom unless it is persistent, is worsening, and/or is associated with red eyes, decreased vision or other new symptoms. If so, I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.