Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My husband has just been diagnosed with Retinal wrinkling.

My husband has just been diagnosed with Retinal wrinkling. I guess this is also
called macular puckering. He is not diabetic and has no family history of this
condition. Our ophthalmologist seemed upset with this and didn't understand why
he had this condition. It seems that no treatment is recommended except eventual
surgery. Do you know what causes this to happen? Thanks

Hello and thanks for your question. There are several known causes of this. One is inflammation. Any inflammation in the eye can predispose this to happen. If he hasn't had any eye problems that he's known about this is unlikely to be the case. Any eye surgery can predispose to this, so if he's had cataract surgery, for example, this can predispose to the wrinkling. Trauma can also predispose to this. Lastly, perhaps idiopathic macular puckering is the most common cause--which is medical speak to say we can't identify a cause--it just happens.

You are correct in that there is no known treatment for this other than surgery. If his vision starts to become worse than 20/30 or objects that he views become distorted such that it starts to affect his life, then surgery is something you should consider. But if his vision is better than 20/30 or if there are no significant effects on his daily activities, it would be wise to just observe this for now because the major surgery done to relieve this can often leave someone 20/30 at their best after the surgery.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.