Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im considering getting lasik but am very risk averse. What

I'm considering getting lasik but am very risk averse. What are the potential pitfalls? How do I know if I'm "eligible" for it? How do I choose a doctor to do it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

It is good, I think, to have a healthy fear of surgery, especially elective surgery. The risks involved with LASIK surgery include: 1. most common: dry eye, substandard result (not as good as expected), regression (eyes changing over time after the surgery requiring surgical "enhancement" or other corrective lenses); 2. most severe: infection, flap dislocation, ingrowth of top layer of corneal tissue into the flap, damage to the eye, decreased or loss of vision, being left without enough corneal tissue after the surgery for the eye to be safe.

Most people do very well with LASIK. The only way you will know if you are "eligible" is to see a corneal-refractive surgeon and have an evaluation for LASIK. They will run various tests, examine your eyes and then should have a discussion with you about how LASIK may or may not be good for you and what you could expect to have as a result.

Choosing a surgeon is probably the most important thing you can do. The reason I say this is because the most important part of getting LASIK is not the surgery, it is the pre-operative evaluation. You want someone who has done thousands of these surgeries, who has a good reputation and someone you know has produced good results. First, start off by asking around: friends, co-workers, acquaintances to see who has had LASIK (maybe their friends or family have had LASIK) and find out who they've been to. Start compiling a reference list for surgeons and see who you get the most positive information out of. Also, alternatively, you could talk to a few optometrists in the area (hopefully you go to one now you trust) and get their opinion. Find a couple you can pick from and then see them. It doesn't hurt to have two different LASIK evaluations--then you can see how they compare (the evaluations and the recommendations, as well as the surgeons themselves).

I hope this has been helpful. I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology