Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

treatment for narrowed blood vessels in left eye

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I'm assuming your are referring to narrowed blood vessels in the retina. Is this something an ophthalmologist told you that you had after examining your eyes? Did you have a problem with the retina such as a vascular occlusion?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I just had an eye exam. I am not a diabetic . There was no occlusion just a narrowed blood vessel. What do you recomend?

A narrowed blood vessel can be a sign of systemic high blood pressure, atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (whether mild or severe) or the after effects of a vascular occlusion.

Given that you have not had a vascular occlusion, are not a diabetic, this leaves either some level of systemic high blood pressure or just the long-term effects of atherosclerosis in the blood vessels. If you have had repeated physicals with no sign of systemic high blood pressure, then this is likely just the result of a collection of atherosclerosis (cholesterol plaque accumulation inside blood vessels). Some people who have advanced formation of this relative to their age, have high cholesterol; others, not.

I would just make sure that systemic high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol are not things you need to have treated. Other than that, living at a healthy weight, eating a healthy diet, exercising, and not smoking are the things to do to mitigate any risk factors that may cause this narrowing of the blood vessels to turn into a vascular occlusion.

Does that make sense and does that address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would Lipitor help?

If you have elevated systemic cholesterol diagnosed by your doctor, yes, it would help decrease that risk factor.