Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have some white/yellow spots on the whites of my eyes i

I have some white/yellow spots on the white's of my eyes i would like and idea what they might be please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Most often when there are yellowish/whitish spots on the eyes, they represent a pingueculum (pinguecula is plural). These are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.

These spots generally lie at the edge of the white and colored parts of the eyes. Sometimes they can become inflamed and need some anti-inflammatory drops to calm down the inflammation, but for the most part they are generally innocuous. On occasion can flatten out and spread over the cornea and it is then called a pterygium. These are also generally innocuous, but can sometimes be very irritating and can affect the vision either by growing in front of the vision or changing the shape of the eye and therefore the need for glasses.

Sometimes these yellow spots can be conjunctival cysts, which are just fluid-filled collections that are also usually innocuous; they may get bigger over time, but are also just as likely to decrease in size and go away. Artificial tears are a good thing to take if either of these are bothering you. They are usually not surgically removed unless there are significant symptoms not alleviated by topical medications, because they both have a decent chance of growing back.

Does this help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.