Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I was diagnosed in 2005 w/ a smallish pterygium, 3 yrs ago

Customer Question

I was diagnosed in 2005 w/ a smallish pterygium, 3 yrs ago an eye Dr. told me removing it was optional since it wasn't infringing on my pupil. For 4 days now, the cornea on the opposite side of that eye is irritated, feeling constantly gritty (no discharge tho). Eye drops don't help. I can't observe whether the pterygium has now spread into the iris and is causing associated eyestrain which prompts these symptoms (for the record: I also live in 24 hr aircon conditions in Fl., recently took several flights
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the irritating eye symptoms due the tear film dysfunction of the dry eyes and/or irritated pterygium. To resolve or significantly reduce this problem, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily, and preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily, at least 10 minutes apart. After 1 week of Zaditor, I suggest that you continue only with the preservative free tear drop as needed.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much.