Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my eyelid difficult to separate lashes with a cloudy mucus..my eye

I woke this morning with my eyelid difficult to separate lashes with a cloudy mucus. When I looked in the mirror my eye was half mast and wouldn't open further. I checked in a magnifying mirror and saw in the corner the surface was raised like a bump and it was red. I thought it might be pink eye and put a drop of quixin in. It is now open and feels better. Should I see a specialist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of viral eye infection with secondary bacterial infection. The good response to Quixin drop suggest that bacterial is contributing to the infection. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you continue to use the Quixin drop 4 times for 5-7 days, and over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily at least 10 minutes apart from the Quixin drop. In addition, apply warm compresses to the eyelids after cleaning twice daily. If this fails to resolve in few days, or get worse at any time, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation under the silt-lamp.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I also have vigamox and was wondering if that medication would be more effective? I have had both of these for some time and have been keeping them in the refrigerator.

Is there any interaction between quixin and vigamox?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

I suggest that you use Vigamox, it is more effective with better penetration. Most eye doctors prefer Vigamox.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry. I forgot to ask if Zaditor is just an eye drop and would Systane suffice? Also, before I accept all of your answers, should I use the Vigamox 4 x daily like you suggested with the Quixin? Should I treat the other eye as well, or only the affected eye?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Systane would be good also for comfort in place of Zaditor eye drop. However, Zaditor would more effective if you do have significant discomfort and irritation. I suggest you use Systane first, and if there is additional need then you can add Zaditor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You only answered my first question....I wanted to know if I should follow the same suggestion of treating the eye 4xdaily as was suggested with the Quixin. ALSO....should I treat the other eye?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

My apologizes. Yes, Vigamox is also dosed at 4 times daily for 5-7 days. Only treat the affected eye. However, if it starts in the other eye, then you should treat the other eye as well.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon