Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hello I am very nearsighted. I get annual eye exams so they

Hello
I am very nearsighted. I get annual eye exams so they are fine otherwise. Over the years, I have stopped doing things that I enjoy like painting because I notice that my suffer and perscription has to be changed . When I studied in University I encountered the same thing. At work, where at times I have much to do in a short time frame, I tend to have to work for a long time on the computer. This was the case pretty recently and I feel that my glasses may need changing. My eyes felt so tired and sometimes blurry. For this reason, I am worried about going to further my education because with all the close range reading- I fear for my eyes. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Sorry to know about your challenges with vision and strained eyes due to your nearsighted. With such high myopia and/or with astigmatism, it is common to experience strained eye muscles with prolonged reading or use of the eyes, especially with glasses. To reduce the strain, I would suggest that you consider using contact lens if you have not tried it already, or corrective eye surgery with either Custom Vue LASIK and/or ICL (Intra-cameral lens). Such procedures would reduce the prism effect of the prescription glasses and the strain in your eyes. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation and consideration of the above options. In addition, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily for eye comfort.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To give more insight, my contact lenses are PWR-5.75 in both eyes. I don't wear contact lenses as often as my glasses. I did not know that there were benefits to wearing contact lenses over glasses including reduced eye strain. Could you elaborate some more?

Also, I have a book that's been about for years called Better Eyesight Without Glasses. It suggests certain exercises to improve vision. Do you know of such any successful cases.What is your take on this?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The eye exercises for improved focusing is mainly for persons with convergence insufficiency or occasional lazy eye with eye muscle fatigue. It may benefit you, and so I can be tried. However, based on your refractive errors of -5.75, what you need to resolve the problem is either contacts lens or LASIK refractive eye surgery to remove the extra cornea refractive power. Contact lens will tend to increase the size of the image you see slightly bigger and more clear with less strain. If you have astigmatism, then it should be corrected - in that case, you should be wearing Toric contact lens, and not the regular contact lens. I suggest that you raise these options with your eye doctor.

Eye Exercises - 3 Cups (Articles: Online Eye Tests)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How risky is Lasik surgery and can vision problems return?

For an area as delicate as the eyes, is there one or two things you can suggest to bear in mind when looking for a surgeon to perform this type of surgery?

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much:

LASIK is a very simple procedure with rare complication. It is the best option for your eye to return to normal 20/20 or better vision without need for glasses or contacts. I suggest that you ask the eye doctor about the number cases done already - 500 or more cases gives the eye doctor an excellent skill and high success rate.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon