Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I am battling with getting the right correction for astigmatism

I am battling with getting the right correction for astigmatism that I have. My last prescription which I just got new glasses for is
right eye -50 +1.75 axis 167
left eye +50 +1.00 axis 163

Now the new glasses do help my left eye fairly well but still my right eye I am not happy with the results that I get. it is still very difficult to read or recognize faces at a distance without getting a lot of shadowing and ghosted vision. Overall the new glasses are an improvement over my old glasses but again I think that is because the left eye is doing alot of the work. I have noticed one odd thing though. If I wear both my new glasses and my old glasses at the same time the vision I get in my right eye is actually clearer than with either pair seperately I mean I still get effects from the astigmatism but it is more reduced looking through both lenses. now it does not help the left eye looking through both but why is it getting better clarity with looking through both lenses for my right eye when they did not get the same amount of clarity in the during the eye exam when they determined my last precription. Could they just not been aggressive enough in trying to get better clarity in the right eye? Could this information help them get a better prescription for my right eye If I went back and let them know about it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the imbalance in the refractive error of astigmatism difference between the eyes. The difference or imbalance between the two eyes refractive error creates a prismatic effect, and hence a shift in the axis of focus of the light in the right. The result is more blurred vision and focusing difficulty. By combining the two glasses for the right eye, you tend to reduce the prismatic effect and improve vision. However, the problem is that the size of the image changes - and will be different from the left eye with only new glasses. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with re-check of your refraction for the addition of small counter corrective prism for better right eye image focusing. This should resolve the problem. If that fails, then it is likely that you have a small ambylopia (mild loss of vision) since young age due to the long-term effect of the astigmatism on the right eye, and may not be completely resolved with the addition of counter corrective prism. Although there could be some improvement.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the better clarity I get with both glasses on is the same even with the left eye closed. So do you think adding a prism to the lense for my right eye may help clear up the astigmatism more? Also I dont think it is caused by any vision loss in my right eye as when I do the Visual Acuity test, looking through the pin hole, I do get pretty clear vision in with the right eye. Far better than wearing glasses.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

I agree that it is unlikely due to ambylopia. I mentioned that for consideration if all fails. Yes, prism addition will correct this problem caused by the astigmatism on the right eye. It will clear the effect of the astigmatism. Another procedure to correct or remove the astigmatism with with Custom Vue LASIK procedure for astigmatic correction if you have adequate cornea thickness, or limbal corneal relaxing incision on the right eye. The procedures would specifically re-shapes the cornea irregular surface.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist.Thank you so much.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon