Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I have a sore eyeball at times. Any idea what could be the

I have a sore eyeball at times. Any idea what could be the problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of soreness and/or aches of the eyeball due to tear film dysfunction or underlying autoimmune inflammatory connective tissue or collagen vascular conditions, including episcleritis and scleritis. It is also possible that there is imbalance in the prescription glasses refractive error between the eyes leading the eye muscle strain and hence soreness. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily, and over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily, at least 10 minutes apart from the Zaditor eye drop. If this fails to resolve in 2 weeks, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer complete eye evaluation with tests including re-check of refractive errors for any uncorrected astigmatism, ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, ANCA panels, TSH, Schmirer's test.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.