Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have watery rippling lines in my vision that occur at random

I have watery rippling lines in my vision that occur at random times, lasts about 20 minutes then goes away? What causes this? Im a 61 year old female, in pretty good health. This has be going on, on and off, for a year or two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  deardr replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean lines floating in the vision? Do you have any other symptoms like decreased vision/ pain? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition or are you on any medication?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I see fine, just have these watery floating jagged lines in my vision, both eyes. The only meds I take are levoxyl (20 + years) and Benicar HTC (5 years). I have occasional pain up my neck carotids when I breath deep, my doctors can't figure out why. My lungs and heart check out fine. really frustrated with western medicine. No answers.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

deardr is offline, and the question is now listed for any other expert to assist. So, I will try and assist.

It is likely that you are experiencing the floating symptoms and jagged lines due to the sensation caused by posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which occurs due to the aging of the thick clear gel inside the eye (vitreous). With age, the vitreous can melt or form liquid in certain areas which can become loosely attached or detached from the back of the eye. It is the pockets of melted vitreous and the loose attachment which cause the floating and jagged lines sensation. This is common with increasing age. It is not harmful, and usually monitored by the retina eye doctor with routine complete dilated eye examination. However, when the symptoms severely affect your vision, then the retina eye doctor can surgically remove the melted vitreous to resolve the symptoms. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation for complete dilated eye examination to exclude any retinal tear which can occasionally lead to retinal detachment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon