Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am 20. My current vision is a 2100. My right eye is -20.25

Customer Question

I am 20. My current vision is a 2100. My right eye is -20.25 and my left eye is -21.50. I live in Illinois. About 5 years ago I went to the eye doctor and he said I couldn't drive in Illinois but could in Missouri. This is a real hassle and self-esstem issue in my life. I am considered legally blind in my right eye. I really desire to have my license, buit have trouble seeing far distanced wording on signs. With this informatiion, is it possible that I could get an eye surgery done or replacement that enables me to be able to drive?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

In many states you only need one eye which sees satisfactorily (20/40 or better usually, but varies by state), but that requirement also varies by state. Is this 20/100 vision in your left eye with wearing glasses or contacts?

Also, have you had any surgery or trauma to that eye?

How about any history of an eye crossing in or out, or patching of an eye?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was born like 3 months early so that might have something to do with it. And yes, my vision is that way WHILE wearing glasses.

I had surgery in both eyes when I was a baby, due to the crossing issue, but other than that, I have no problems since or disease of the eyes.

Were you ever patched as a child?

Did you ever have good vision in the left eye or similar to the right eye?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was never patched. I was born extremely premature, and have always had consistant severity with my right (legally blind) eye. My vision in the left eye is -21.50 and my right eye is -20.25.

In light of your history, I do not think there is any surgery that could be done to improve that eye's eyesight. If the vision in that eye has been poor since birth, it would stay poor no matter what surgery you had in that eye. Amongst other problems that may be happening in the eye which have to do with your extreme nearsightedness and being premature, amblyopia (poor eyesight since birth) in your right eye would make it so there is no potential for improved vision despite surgery.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Would an entire eye transplant from a donor be plausible?

Unfortunately an entire eye transplant is not possible yet. Only part of the eye can be transplanted right now and that's the cornea, which unfortunately wouldn't help you any. Sorry.