Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 3 month old daughter was born with a very small white dot

My 3 month old daughter was born with a very small white dot on her pupil (the dark part in the middle of the eye). I was wondering what this could be. The pupil in that eye is a little smaller than her other eye also. We have an appointment to see a pediatric opthamologist soon but this is worrying me. She does have the red eye reflex that we all should have. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is possible that there is an underlying change in the back of the eye such as tiny/small congenital cataract or lesion in the at the back of the lens capsule (mittendorf dot), vitreous or retina due to non-harmful changes or infection in the womb or trauma in the eye during delivery. The small pupil on the affected eye is likely related to this eye lesion, but may be a normal variation in pupil size. It is also possible that this is due to a non-harmful remnant of the eye structure remaining after eye development, as mittentdof dot or Bergmeister papilla at the optic nerve. It is important to exclude infections such as toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes, syphilis, and retinoblastoma. This can be done by the pediatric ophthalmology with complete dilated eye examination.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.