Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have a Mother with not so recent glasses, she says at times

I have a Mother with not so recent glasses, she says at times she has trouble with distances and sometimes the ground will appear to move strangely,she also said the bathtub will appear to be moving up and down? Once at an outdoor event she appeared to misjudge the distance of the seats/steps, I had to grab her and she said she did not realize the steps were that high. She also gets headaches...She is 65 yrs old.She takes a very mild pain killer at times for her back and basically doesn't drink alcohol.
My question is ...; are these type problems something you have heard of and can they be linked to eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that she is experiencing the symptoms of vision imbalance due to changes in her eye refractive errors and need to update her glasses. In addition, it is possible that when she looks down through the bifocal segment of the glasses that she experiences image jump or imbalance in focusing. Development of cataract without changing her glasses to adjust for the changes will cause this symptom. This problem can be easily corrected with change in her eye prescription. I suggest that she follow-up with her eye doctor for closer evaluation and recheck of her glasses, and complete dilated eye exam to exclude other problem at the back of the eye such as macular degeneration (though unlikely).

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Additional information:

It is also likely that there is intermittent imbalance in eye focusing with distorted vision as a result of brain pressure changes with weakness of one or more of the nerves that supply the eyes. This is common in persons with brain lesions. This distorted or imbalance in vision vision can be corrected by adding prism to the prism glasses.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist