Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

What is the normal procedure for the removal of the chalazion,and

What is the normal procedure for the removal of the chalazion,and how long is the recovery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

To resolve this problem, two approaches may be used by your eye doctor. The first is Kenalog steroid injection into the under side of the conjunctiva area of the chalazion to help dissolve it. During the 2 weeks after the injection, oral doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days may be prescribed. Alternatively, and probably preferred in your case considering the long duration of the chalazion, is surgical excision. This is performed by locally numbing the conjunctiva area with a mixture of lidocaine and diluted epinephrine, followed by simple excision in the office. The area of excised chalazion usually heal without scar due to the unique method of excision procedure. After the excision Tobradex ointment is applied to promote the healing and prevention of infection.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.