Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Treatment for swelling cornea eye drops.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thank you for your question. May I ask how you came to have corneal swelling? Did you recently have surgery or do you have a cornea problem that causes the swelling?

Customer:

It happens all a sudden . Someone thinks I may have been allergic to the wetting soln I used for my contacts lenses. I don't think so since I have been using the same wetting soln for years. That is the Costco Kirkland brand. I could not see well now and I hesitate to drive.

Doctor DanB :

Did an ophthalmologist diagnose you with corneal edema?

Customer:

NO, The optometrist, I have no surgery nor I have any corneal edema before or any other eye problems.

Doctor DanB :

Corneal edema in someone who wears contact lenses can be a sign of the cornea not getting enough oxygen because of the contact lens wear. Everyone's corneal tolerance for contact lens wear is different. Depending on how many hours in the day you're wearing them, what kind of contact lenses they are, what your contact lens hygiene is like and the make-up of your cornea, your corneas may not be tolerating them. Edema in the cornea, or swelling, is a not too uncommon sign of this contact lens intolerance. An eye drop that you can try that may provide some immediate help is a drop called Muro 128 (it also comes in an ointment form); you can get it over-the-counter at your local drug store or pharmacy. Use the drop 4x/day or the ointment at night and that can help with corneal edema. But likely what needs to happen the most is that you need to stay out of the contacts for at least a couple of weeks to allow the cornea to recover some function. Depending on what kind of contacts you're wearing, you also may need to get a different contact lens prescription as well. What is your brand of contacts you're using and how many hours a day are you in them?

Customer:

the contact lenses is ACUVUE by J & J I wear the lenses about 8- 10hrs/day never sleep with them.

Doctor DanB :

It's not Acuvue Oasys or Advance, just plain Acuvue?

Customer:

It is just the plain ACUVUE.

Doctor DanB :

The plain Acuvue lenses are somewhat older in the fact that they don't transmit as much oxygen as some of the newer ones do. Acuvue Oasys is a newer Acuvue contact lens that has a much higher oxygen transmissibility than its predecesor, the plain Acuvue that you are using. I therefore would recommend that after you've had a couple week break from the contact lenses, and assuming the edema resolves with the Muro 128 drops and time out of the contacts, that you go ahead and get a new prescription for contact lenses that is for newer, higher oxygen transmissibility lenses. Then when you do start back in them, try to build up your wear slowly (don't go 10 hours the 1st day). Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology