Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My left eyelid pulls uncontrollably and is accompanied by constantly

My left eyelid pulls uncontrollably and is accompanied by constantly sore tired red eyes and intermitant cramp like pains behind my right eye. I am a 51 yo fem, non smoker, occ drinker. I have had slightly blurred vision and I wear multi focal glasses (4 years). My eyes are blinking more often due to a feeling of constant tiredness and irritation (not like there is something in my eyes) but a tired irritation. Glare is more annoying than usual and I am squinting more. I have seen an opthamologist (6/12ago) about the pain behind my eye - was told pressure was in the normal range and nothing unusual could be seen.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

I would like some more information regarding your question-

Dr. PG :

since when are you having these symptoms?

Dr. PG :

are you using any eye drops currently?

Dr. PG :

any other symptoms like blurring of vision, glare, eye discharge?

Dr. PG :

what is your age and gender?

Customer :

hi

Customer :

I am a 51 yrold fem. my left eye lid began to move in a pulling and tightening muscle non rythmic twitch about 3 weeks ago. It is worse when I tightly close my eyes, which I feel like doing more and more often. both eyes have been red and tired for months and there is blurring as well as a feeling of glare (hence squinting more) with no discharge. for over a year I have noticed my the area around my eyes, particularly near the nose makes a loud squelching sound if depressed. my right eye (the opposite one) has had sharp cramp like pains behind it off and on for about 6 months. i saw an opthamologist at that time who said she could see no change and the pressure was within the normal range. i have used eye drops on and off recently.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

are you there?

Customer :

yes

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

why did you exit the chat, I have not yet received an answer from you regarding the condition?

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

I was not able to see your side of conversation if you wrote.

Thanks for the information you have given.

Since your eye evaluation has been done it rules out serious problems like glaucoma, cataract, any inflammation etc.

What you are describing indicates a dryness of your eyes with may be some allergy as well. I would recommend you to use lubricating eye drops like optive/systane/refresh tears etc. Also use anti-allergy eye drops like zaditor. These are avaialble over the counter.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have used eye drops which do not change anything about this condition can you think of anything else other than allergy and how does dry eye cause my eyelid to physically contract, close and spasm like the muscle is being pulled. It is not a feeling of dryness as much as a feeling of uncontrolled movement of the eyelid. thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

Dryness of eyes can cause extreme discomfort depending on its extent. It can cause blurring of vision, intolerance to light, grittiness, eye strain, twitching of eyelids, muscle spasms etc.

What you are describing sees like twitching of the eyelids. This can again be seen in dryness, eye strain (due to muscle weakness, inadequate spectacle correction), stress, hyper-excitable nerves etc. Most of the cases of eye twitching resolve on their own. Sometimes taking oral supplements like Neurobion forte (available over the counter) help relieve the hyper excitable nerves. I would still recommend you to continue using the lubricating eye drops to take care of any dryness which might be contributing to the eye twitching.

If after the above treatment still your symptoms persist, then you need to be evaluated for blepharospasm (spasm of eyelid) by your Ophthalmologist.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou. What is blepharospasm and is it dangerous?
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

Blepharospasm is uncontrolled muscle spasm of the eye lids. It is not dangerous. It can be treated if the cause of the spasms can be diagnosed.

Regards

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)