Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I had eye surgery as a baby for ulcers behind my eye (this

I had eye surgery as a baby for ulcers behind my eye (this is what my mum she was told) I have lost a lot of the sight in that eye but now I have a cataract in this eye so my sight is really bad and also a lot of pain in this eye especially when I move also I have a headache all the time for weeks is this caused by the cataract ?

Welcome to Just Answer

I don't think the pain and headache are due to the formation of cataract as cataract is a painless condition ( opacification of the crystalline natural lens). There is a likelihood of an associated glaucoma which is probably causing the eye pain. The other possibility is that of associated iritis( inflammation in the iris) which can give rise to pain. This will need a detailed eye examination which includes intraocular pressure recording( normal between 10-21 mm of hg), slit lamp examination. The decision to perform cataract surgery will depend on the presence of these two associated conditions, as the prognosis is guarded if either glaucoma or iritis are co-existing. You can consult your ophthalmologist for the above eye check up and for the possibility of surgery after the pressure is found well controlled and eye is devoid of any inflammation.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist