Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

can general anesthesia affect your eyesight

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Can you describe what has happened to your eyesight?
What was the nature of the surgery?
How long was the surgery?

Customer:

cosmetic surgery done under general anesthesia for approx 2 1/2 hours

Dr. James :

What was the name of the procedure?
One eye or both eyes?

Customer:

Breast reduction and lift Having trouble with both eyes seeing small letters such as computer, reading, viewing email on my blackberry. However if I wear my glasses it does help, however I normally don't need glasses for all of these things.

Dr. James :

What is your age?

Customer:

45

Dr. James :

It appears you are developing presbyopia. This causes difficulty with near vision. To view up close, you lens to focus up close. As you age, then lens gets stiffer and lose the ability to focus up close. That is why you see many people needing to use reading glasses or bifocal. Presbyopia occurs at different times, but generally starts in the early 40s and most people will need reading glasses into their 50s.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend you visit with your optometrist for an eye exam. You might consider contact lenses which can help with near vision is you find wearing glasses inconvenient.

Dr. James :

The general anesthesia is unrelated to the presbyopia.

Customer:

Yes I realize this as i have perscription glasses for reading and computer but it seems to be much worse since I did the surgery 2 days ago. Is there any correlation between general anesthesia and vision problems?

Dr. James :

You have been able to compensate for the creeping presbyopia but focusing extra hard. Sometimes the stress of surgery can decrease your ability to maintain this extra focus as you were able to do before the surgery. The anesthesia itself is our your body since it was 2 days ago.

So, the correlation would be the overall stress of surgery and healing, but not likely the anesthetic itself.

Customer:

If it is the stress of the surgery and healing is this something that will correct itself back to how it was where I only needed glasses for some of these things. Is this common that the stress of the surgery would affect my ability to focus with my eyes? If so how long should this last?

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon