Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Branch Retinal Vein Occlusioin..laser surgery

I have Branch Retinal Vein Occlusioin and have taken an injection (6 Aug). Am now scheduled forlaser surgery on 9 Aug.How is the laser surgery done and what are the potential problems and/or percentage of serious complications.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. The laser surgery is done in an office-setting. Your eye will be numbed by an anesthetic drop, after which a small lens will be placed on the eye which the doctor will hold still. You will put your head into the microscope much as you do when the doctor examines your eyes. You will be asked to fixate on a target with the opposite eye and hold your gaze there. The doctor will likely put a few dozen laser spots into the retina where the swelling is in order to help the swelling go away. The potential risks of doing the laser surgery include pain (at most only mild discomfort), bleeding (uncommon) in the retina, worsening of swelling (uncommon), persistence of the swelling requiring more treatment (possible), retinal detachment (rare), decreased vision (uncommon to rare). The majority of people who have this laser have an improvement in the swelling in the retina which, in most cases, is seen throughout an improvement in the vision.

Doctor DanB :

Does that answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I was looking for. Quick, concise and clear. Ed Pierce