Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my left eyeball..bloodshot..instance if I place my hand at arms length

Hi..I have quite a severe pain on the upper part of my left eyeball that has lasted about 2 days up to now...it is very bloodshot, but only in that area. Pain increases markedly when I try to focus on something nearby, for instance if I place my hand at arms length and bring it closer the pain increases. Anything to worry about?
Thank you in advance
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

How is the pain in the eye- intermittent or continuous?

Has there been any reduction in the vision in the left eye?

Any history of glaucoma?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Continuous and more severe on focussing on close objects

Yes it is blurred ..

No history of Glaucoma

Thank you for the reply.

I would be concerned if the pain has been continuous with blurred vision too. I guess a detailed eye check would be better so as to find if any inflammation like uveitis is there . Apart from inflammation in the eye there is ciliary spasm which gives rise to eye pain which can worsen for near objects. You can consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye examination for a slit lamp examination. Early start of steroid eye drops will help to bring down the inflammation. In the meanwhile you can take analgesics like tab.Acetaminophen 500 mg twice a day , so that the pain is well controlled.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but your answer is rather vague and you haven't told me anything that I didn't already know

It is unfortunate that you have found the answer "vague". If you are already aware that you could be having uveitis , which is causing the eye symptoms in your case, then you must be knowing the importance of early treatment too with steroids and cycloplegics. Taking no treatment may not help and can only make matters worse. I still recommend that you consult an ophthalmologist soon for a detailed eye check up.If you are wanting any other explanation , you can always ask( I thought I had answered your major concern about whether to worry about the severe eye pain or not , that too with a possible explanation).
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince