Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

should glaoucoma cause daily vision loss

should glaoucoma cause daily vision loss?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Can you describe the nature of the vision loss?
Is it one eye or both eyes?
How long does it last?
Does the vision return fully?
When you lose vision, is it completely blacked out or just blurry?

Customer:

blurry, hazey

Customer:

it gets more blurry and hazy each day in both eyes. it might get a very little bit better during the day, otherwise each day the vision iis worse - very, very blurry. very sensitive to light. cannot ready or see what she could a week ago.

Dr. James :

Thank you for the additional information. To answer your questions, glaucaom does NOT cause daily vision loss. If you are still using glaucoma drops, however, those drops can be irritating to the eyes and disturb the tear film. You may also have dry eyes which will cause intermittently blurred vision along with the light sensitivity.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend you use artificial tears 4-6 times daily. If you do not see any improvement, I'd recommend you see your ophthalmologist for evaluation.

Customer:

Are there other eye disorders that can cause this daily vision loss? She is thinking she has a tumor that is causing this, i told her that i did not think so, but she is concerned. She changed one of her eye drops to another one without any change, she does put in artificial tears three times a day (at her doctors's advice).

Dr. James :

If the vision goes away completely and returns, that is a little more concerning. That would be called amaurosis fugax and caused by blockage of the blood flow to the eye. If that is the cases, then she would need an ultrasound of her neck arteries which feed the eye to check for any blockage.

Customer:

No, it does not go away completely and then return,

Dr. James :

The change in vision sounds more like dry eyes. If it is worsening or she has not seen her ophthalmologist recently, then a followup visit may be helpful.

Customer:

she will be seeing him on 08/30 (that is his 1st available appt). do you think it can wait until then to see him, when it worsens every day?

Dr. James :

Since it is worsening, it may be best to get an earlier appointment.

Customer:

"We already got an earlier appt - 08/30 - they cannot, will not give us anything earlier!

Dr. James :

The only person who can fit you in sooner would be the doctor. You should insist on talking to the doctor directly. Another option would be to visit with her general doctor or optometrist.

Customer:

ok, thank you.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon