Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I recently had cataract surgery in both eyes. I now have halos

Customer Question

I recently had cataract surgery in both eyes. I now have halos and light beams going from upper left to lower right in both eyes from headlights, streetlights,or if I look diectly at a light bulb. I do not have a probem with tv, my computer, movies. My doc has said YAG surgery will correct this but I keep reading that YAG is for cloudy vision which I do not have. Please advise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

You are right, the predominant symptom in case of posterior capsule opacification (PCO) after cataract surgery is blurring of vision. But rarely, some patients might present with initial symptoms of haloes followed by blurring of vision. If your Ophthalmologist has evaluated you after pupillary dilatation, then he must have seen formation of PCO requiring capsulotomy with YAG (creating a hole in the posterior capsule).

The other possibility is increased intraocular pressure or glaucoma. This usually presents as seeing colored haloes against light. In case you have a angle closure glaucoma, then a laser iridotomy (creating a hole in the iris) by YAG laser is done to relive the pressure. So, it might be possible that your doctor is planning iridotomy. YAG laser is used both for creating a hole in capsule in case of PCO and a hole in iris in case of glaucoma.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have increased pressure or glaucoma. My pressure was checked 2 weeks ago. I do not have blurry vision. The only problem is the halos and blades or lines of light. I received the lenses that correct astigmatism and they have done that. My far vison is perfect. I still need glasses for reading and working. My doctor said the YAG will cut a slit in the capsule and that will fix the glare. I cannot find anything regarding YAG surgery that confirms this. Would PCO have occurred within days after surgery? I think the glare has actually become worse in the last few weeks. What does that indicate?
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

you have most probably got toric intraocular lenses (IOL) implanted in your eyes. If after surgery, you had no problem and the vision was good, then mostly after YAG, your vision should return back and the haloes should also go.

You are experiencing haloes because of PCO forming and in addition Toric IOL was implanted in your eye.

Usually the PCO does not form after days of surgery. It takes a few days to a few years, unless there is an inflammatory condition going on in the eye. When was the surgery done and since when are you having glare?

Regards

Edited by Dr. PG on 8/7/2010 at 7:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the surgeries were done in May and June and the beams of light started with a few days. Yes I have the toric lenses. My vision is not impaired EXCEPT when looking at things like headlights, street lights etc. I am still not comfortable that YAG is the answer.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

This is Dr. Stan: Since Dr. PG has been offline for a very prolonged period and the question is available for another expert assistance, I would try to assist.

In addition to considering Yag of the any posterior capsular opacity (PCO) that is contributing to the halos, glare and focusing difficulty, I suggest that your eye doctor should evaluation for a shift shift in the position of toric lens implant axis of astigmatism after implantation. In general, PCO does not occur after few days of cataract removal and lens implant, although it is possible. Another likely cause of the halos, glare and focusing difficulty after toric lens implant is shift in the position of where the axis of astigmatism should be after surgery. I suggest that your eye doctor closely evaluate your toric lens implant in the affected eye for any axis shift, and if there is a shift, then it can be corrected be a quick rotation of the implant in the operating room.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

If your vision was good after the surgery, but you had the glare problem from the very beginning, then most probably the axis of the Toric IOL needs to be adjusted a little. A few patient's eyes are more sensitive than usual. A minor 3-5 degree shift in the Toric IOL (which can occur occasionally), might bring uncomfortableness and symptoms like yours. So, if you are having blurring of vision also then initial step should be to perform YAG capsulotomy. If after the capsulotomy the haloes still persist, then the adjustment of the IOL can be tried. Till that time I would advise you to abstain from self driving at night.

Regards

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)