Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

How can I tell the difference between my normal allergies and

How can I tell the difference between my normal allergies and an eye infection so I'll know which drops to use?

Welcome to Just Answer:

The signs and symptoms of normal eye reaction to allergies include tearing of clear/water discharge, conjunctival/eyelid redness, itching and/or swelling eyelids. It is often associated with sneezing and history of exposure to allergens. On the other hand, eye infection can be viral or bacterial caused. Viral eye infection often accompanies recent cold/flu symptoms with redness, light sensitivity of the eyes, water discharge and swelling or painful neck or behind the ear lymph nodes. Bacterial eye infection is often associated eye redness, and yellowish discharge. All are associated with some degree of blurred vision. The treatments of allergic reaction include warm compresses around the eye area twice daily for 2 weeks, use of over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily for 1 week, and preservative free tear drop 4 times daily. For viral eye infection, the treatment includes cold compresses twice daily for 2 weeks, and the use of over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. For Bacterial eye infection, it is treated with antibiotics eye drops such as Vigamox or Tobramycin 4 times daily for 10 to 14 days.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.