Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Last night my husband (61 yrs) saw a bright light in his right

Last night my husband (61 yrs) saw a bright light in his right eye. It lasted for a while, the flashing when he blinked. Today he has a slight headache and doesn't feel well. What could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question.

Your husband's symptoms sound consistent with a migraine headache. A typical migraine headache starts with these shimmering or flashing lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

If you have any question or concern about the diagnosis, however, your GP is a good person to see to get the second opinion. Ultimately, neurologists end up treating migraines a lot, but most GPs can do this too.

Doctor DanB :

Does this help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

I'm still here...

Hello and thanks for your question.

2:39 PM

Does this help answer your question?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The last migraine my husband had was 42 years ago. The symptoms he described did not turn into a migraine. It is unusual for him to have a headache. This is just slight headache and he feels tired. Could this be from dehydration? He worked outside cleaning pools (5) for our business with temps above 105?

it is not uncommon for a person who has had migraines in the distant past and not any for many years, to begin to have them again and many times they change in character, severity, and frequency when they come back. The symptoms your husband is having do seem consistent with migraines.

However, the flashing lights may also be consistent with retinal traction. Does he have floating things in his vision, and if so, are they new? Has his vision overall changed?