Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Dear Sir, I am from Calcutta. My mother who is 68 yrs. is

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I am from Calcutta. My mother who is 68 yrs. is suffering from posterior sub-capsular cataract in her left eye since 2005.Doctors have advised her to undergo cataract surgery. But she is frightened to undergo any surgical treatment. Is there any risk of getting the retina damaged due to surgery? The doctor has advised her not to undergo Phaco-surgery, as it would not be of any use. She had retinal detachment in L.E. in the year 2004.At that time the doctor performed scleral buckling to mend the retina. Again in 2005 she had a sudden decrease in vision in her right eye and doctors advised her to undergo vitrectomy and scleral buckling with silicone oil and she underwent surgery in her right eye in Madras in the year 2005. At present her eye condition is very serious. The Right eye's cornea is damaged and she has got scars also .Her vision in the left eye is extremely poor due to posterior sub-capsular cataract. Please advise what will I do next. She is regularly taking eye vitamins but she is still complaining of very poor and blurred vision in both the eyes. She is very much frightened about the surgery as the doctor is saying that there is minimal chance. Please advise. Are there any drops that can cure her eyes completely without any surgery? She also used Nu-eyes drop but no effect.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Sorry about the difficulty of your mom's eyes. The first step is to determine the estimated visual recovery after removal of the cataract. Posterior subcapsular cataract (PSC) can be a little difficult if it has scarred onto the posterior lens capsule, increasing the risk of vitreous (thick clear gel inside the eye) moving forward. This tend to be the case if the cataract is very mature and/or old. However, many eye surgeons do have good success without significant complication even with advance PSC. My suggestion is that you get a second opinion from a different eye doctor about the possibility of phaco surgery or small incision cataract (SICS). If the cause of most of her decrease vision is due to the PSC, then I confident that she will do very well after cataract removal. The risk of retinal complications during or after cataract surgery is related to the skill of the eye surgeon and eye conditions the patient may have. I suggest that you contact Aravind Eye Hospital for a second opinion evaluation. The eye surgeons at this hospital are excellent and highly skilled. In the meantime, she should continue to use the vitamins and eye drops. The only eye drop many have considered very beneficial for reducing cataract is Vision Clarity Carnosine Eye Drops (Cataracts, Dry Eye). See link below. However, there is no documented study with randomized trial for this drop, except for testimonial claims of improved vision after use.

http://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=622

Carnosine Cataract Eye Drops from Vision Clarity - Sterile 1% N ...

Madurai - Welcome to Aravind Eye Hospital

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr.Stan,

Thank you so much for the reply.I will purchase the medicine prescribed by you.But it would be very helpful for me if you can come to Calcutta,India and perform a complete eye check -up of my mom.Can you perform the surgery on my mom's left eye.Because nobody has given me such a prompt and solid answer to my question yet.The Indian doctors especially the doctors of Calcutta always have some ego problem and they are very proud of themselves.In my belief American doctors are the best.Please help me to get out of this difficult situation.
Please inform me about you visit to Calcutta.Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Thanking you
yours sincerely
Billie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr.Stan,

Thank you so much for the reply.I will purchase the medicine prescribed by you.But it would be very helpful for me if you can come to Calcutta,India and perform a complete eye check -up of my mom.Can you perform the surgery on my mom's left eye?Because nobody has given me such a prompt and solid answer to my question yet.The Indian doctors especially the doctors of Calcutta always have some ego problem and they are very proud of themselves.In my belief American doctors are the best.Please help me to get out of this difficult situation.
Please inform me about your visit to Calcutta.Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Thanking you
yours sincerely
Billie
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your confidence and kind words. It would not be possible for me to come to Calcutta, India to perform her surgery. I'm not licensed to practice medicine in India. However, I know the eye doctors at Aravind Eye Hospital to be excellent and very skilled. Please, contact them and they would be very happy to assist your mom. I wish her that best. Sorry, I'm not able to assist her with her surgery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Stan,

Thank you very much for the best wishes and your reply. For the time being she would like to try the drop prescribed by you. Can you tell me the postoperative procedures? Are there any rules and regulations that she will have to follow? For how many days she will have to lie down?Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Thank you

yours sincerely,

Billie

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The post operative procedures include using eye drops for reducing inflammation and preventing infection. The antibiotics drop is usually used 4 times daily for 7 days, and the steroid drop (Pred Forte 1%) is used 4 times daily for 2 weeks, then 3 times daily for 1 week, and once daily for 1 week, and then stop. There is another drop (non-steroidal) anti-inflammatory drop that is used 4 times daily for 4 weeks - to reduce inflammation. In addition, during the initial 1-2 weeks, she would be expected not to lift any object greater than 50 pounds. The surgery is usually outpatient, and no need the stay over at the hospital, unless there is a concern with the procedure. She should start seeing better after the surgery. She should rest well for the first 1 week, avoid bending down for the first 1 week, but there is no need to lie down all the time. She should take it a little bit easy, without need for over exertion for 4 weeks after the surgery to allow complete healing of the surgical would, and resolution of inflammation.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr.Stan,

Thank you so much for the reply.Can she take bath after the surgery?

Waiting for an early reply.

Thanks and regards,
Billie(son)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Doctor Stan,

Thank you so much for the informative feedback.I visited the link for the eye drop you prescribed.But I noticed that they do not have India in their country list.Now form where shall I get the eye drop?Can you provide me with any other site address?

Thanking you
yours sincerely,
Billie

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much: I suggest that you contact the suppliers directly, including the ones below.

Cataracts surgery vs NAC carnosine eye drops eyes treatment

Cataracts Cure *Carnosine Eye Drops* for Eye Cataracts

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr.Stan,

Thank you very much doctor. I will follow your post-operative rules and regulations and also thanks a lot for the Internet links.

Thanking you
yours sincerely,
Billie
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcomed. Also, she can take bath after the surgery but should avoid rubbing the operated eye or splashing water into the eye for 1 week. She can use wet cloth to gently wipe the eye.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr.Stan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Thanks and regards,
Billie
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
You are welcomed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Sir,

I purchased the medicine from visionclaritycarnosineeyedrops.com.

Thanks and regards,
Billie
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Great! Best wishes.