Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 21 year old son is having difficulty seeing in the dark

My 21 year old son is having difficulty seeing in the dark and is having a lot of floaters and seeing purple shapes. He has seen an ophthalmologist and they referred him to a retina specialist that we will see next Thursday. If he had a detached retina would that have been picked up on by the Dr. right away? Also, what could be causing the night blindness and floaters. His vision has not changed at all, and he's had night vision problems for a long time. He has an astigmatism and is near sighted. He is very anxious. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Kathi LeVan
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that your son is experiencing that symptoms of retinitis pigmentosa - a form of retinal degeneration caused by the slow loss or death of retinal rod cells (responsible for night vision). This condition is often inherited through the family, either close or distant. Other cause of night blindness that should be excluded by his eye doctor is deficiency of vitamin A. There is no current cure for retinitis pigmentosa, except the use of Vitamin A supplement to reduce the rate of progression. However, there is active research in this area for cure. I suggest that he follow-up with the retinal eye doctor for closer evaluation with tests including complete dilated eye exam, OCT, Humphrey's visual field test, ERG and/or EOG testing. This condition can be associated with floaters, astigmatism and nearsightedness. If he has retinal detachment it would have been discovered by the eye doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.