Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I was checking my email when things just didnt look right.

I was checking my email when things just didn't look right. The screen became hard to read and I felt very strange. I left the computer and sat donw in a comfortable chair and closed my eyes and it wasn't dark. I could not see objects or anything it just wasn't dark and at the edge of my left eye I could see jagged lines of bright light. At one point I felt a sharp pain on the side of my head but it passed after only seconds.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Did this happen from one or both eyes?

Has it happened before?

Any associated headache?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It only happened in one eye. I think it has happened before but it was years ago and don't have a clear memory of it. No headache, only the sharp short pain.
Thank you so much:

It is likely that you experienced the symptoms ocular migraine without headaches. This would resolve on it is own, and not harmful. However, if this becomes frequent, it can be resolved with doctor's prescribed medication such as Imitrex. Other possible causes include strained eye muscle due to uncorrected prescription refractive error in the eye. It could also occur as a result of transient tear film dysfunction. In addition, it would be appropriate that your eye doctor closely exam your eyes to exclude any optic nerve injury and/or temporal (Giant cell) arteritis with blood tests including anti-nuclear antibody (ANA), ESR, and C-reactive protein. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily, over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tear 4 times daily, and follow-up with your eye doctor closer evaluation and re-check of your eye prescription refractive error for close reading and computer distances.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Thank you so much:

I suggest that you use both the Zaditor and the tear drop but at least 10 minutes apart for each other.