Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I wear soft contacts, and today a couple of hours ago my eye

I wear soft contacts, and today a couple of hours ago my eye kept feeling like there was something in it, so I kept rubbing it (with the contact in). Then I took the contact out and put it back in, and the moisture from the contact solution caused me to notice the thing (whatever it was) less. But then later it came back, and I rubbed my eye a lot. Then I happened to glance in the mirror and noticed that my eye is very red, and there is now a bubble on it! The bubble is clear, not noticeable unless you look carefully, and it rests on my eyelid. I took the contact out, and it's been about 20 minutes of horror and just staring at my eye, but I think the bubble has diminished in size! I could be imagining that though.... My eye is still very red.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Have you had this problem before?
Is the bubble on the whites of the eyes?
Do you have any change in vision?

Customer:

Oh yes I know.

Customer:

Never in my life!

Customer:

That's why I'm scared.

Customer:

No change in vision at all.

Customer:

Oh sorry,

Customer:

yes the bubble is on the white of the eye

Customer:

towards the bottom left

Customer:

it looks like it is resting on my eyelid

Customer:

Um, are you there?

Dr. James :

Hello

Dr. James :

The bubble you see appears to be a conjunctival cyst. This is similar to a blister and can be caused by irritation.

Customer:

Oh hi

Customer:

Oh.

Customer:

Is it very bad???????

Dr. James :

Likely the contact lenses is the source of the irritation.

Customer:

Well if it's similar to a blister I guess not?

Dr. James :

Not usually.

Customer:

right

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so ---

Customer:

I know you are not giving me advice, but just information ---

Customer:

I should not wear contacts at all until it's gone?

Customer:

and

Dr. James :

If it is irritated, it can fill with more fluid and get bigger -- such as today.

Customer:

oh

Customer:

so no contacts

Dr. James :

yes, it would be a good idea to stay out of contact lens until it improves.

Dr. James :

is the eye still red?

Customer:

let me look

Customer:

still pretty pink

Customer:

but a lot less

Customer:

so

Customer:

than when I first asked the question

Customer:

actually

Customer:

is it the kind of thing I will need medication for, or will have to see a doctor about right away?

Customer:

I know you're not responsible for your response to that question

Customer:

ha ha

Customer:

Sorry, I was just wondering; are you having connection problems or something?

Dr. James :

You may consider seeing your eye doctor to recheck the contact lenses. If they are fitting too tight, it can cause your eyes to look red. Infections can cause red eyes as well. This usually has discharge, light sensitivity, eye pain, and change in vision.

Dr. James :

If you develop those symptoms, then you should be evaluated promptly.

Dr. James :

as for the clear bubble, that should get smaller as your eyes are less irritated.

Dr. James :

There seems to be a lag on the connection... sorry.

Customer:

oh no prob

Customer:

I just thought maybe the condition was puzzling

Customer:

is it strange to you

Customer:

or are you pretty familiar with conjunctival cysts?

Dr. James :

If it is a conjunctival cyst, then no medication is needed. Just artificial tears to lubricate the eyes.

Dr. James :

If you develop increase pain, discharge, light sensitivity, then you should see your doctor to make sure there is no infection.

Customer:

Will rewetting solution do it, or do I need something else?

Dr. James :

I do see conjunctival cysts every once in a while.

Customer:

Thanks for answering all these questions, I think I will be done soon.

Customer:

with the questions I mean

Customer:

so the big pauses were because of the slow connection, not because you were mystified?

Customer:

ha ha ha ha

Dr. James :

Rewetting solution should be fine.

Dr. James :

No problem.

Customer:

Ok, well right now I definitely do not have any vision problems,

Customer:

pain,

Customer:

discharge,

Customer:

or light sensitivity.

Dr. James :

Yes.

Customer:

oh good

Customer:

Ok, then I will rewet it and not wear my contacts.

Customer:

Thank you so much!

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer:

oh one last question --- the redness is normal with conjunctival cysts?

Customer:

yes, definitely

Dr. James :

No, conjunctival cyst does not cause eye redness.

Customer:

Oh.

Customer:

So that is weird?

Dr. James :

I suspect the redness may be due to irritation from the contact lenses. That redness and irration then exacerbates and causes the cyst to swell up.

Customer:

I see.

Customer:

Contacts don't have an expiration date, do they?

Customer:

I mean before they're out of the box.

Customer:

I had these for a while, and just hadn't worn them yet.

Customer:

Could that be the problem?

Customer:

Sorry I guess that other question wasn't my last.

Dr. James :

They do if you look on the label. They are usually good for a few years if not open. If they are less than a year old, then doubtful that it is expired.

Customer:

I see. Thank you so much for your help. I do appreciate it. I love this website when it's not having technical problems.

Customer:

Going to hit accept now.

Dr. James :

You're welcome. :)

Customer:

:)

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon