Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I recently had two different opinions regarding my eye correction.

I recently had two different opinions regarding my eye correction. The doctors wrote pescriptons and I'm unclear if they really are the same. I'm confused as to which prescription I should use.

Dr. #1 wrote the following: OD -11.75 + 0.75 x 150 OS -11.00 + 0.50 x 019 Add +2.50

Dr. # XXXXX wrote : OD -11.75 - 0.25 x 60 OS -1100 - 0.25 x 165 Add +2.50

Thanks,
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. First of all, the two prescriptions are written in different formats or conventions. When you look at the middle number for the prescription on each eye, you will note that it either has a + sign before it or a - sign before. You can write a prescription in either format, plus or minus, but the numbers change (are translated) when you change the format from plus to minus or vice versa.

When the format of the second prescription is to be plus like that of the 1st prescription, you can then compare apples to apples. Having done that, the right eye prescriptions on both are very similar, just a little bit more astigmatism in the 1st prescription. The left eyes are almost exactly the same.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is, the two prescriptions are very similar and the differences would likely not make a significant difference in how you see. If I were you, I would think about how you saw when you were getting each prescription made and how you felt about the process with each one, and go with the prescription that you felt the best about. If there really is an error made in the glasses (or things just don't feel quite right), almost all optical shops will allow a remake of the glasses to be done in the first 90 days free of charge.

I don't think you'll lose on either one, though.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So when you translated the two prescriptions on the middle numbers and put them on the + number. What is the exact perscription so that I can compare apples to apples. You have already begun to satisfy my concerns, I just want the numbers translated for me so I know what they are.

Thanks,

So when the minus prescription (the second one) is translated to plus it becomes:

OD: -12.00 +0.25 x150

OS: -11.25 +0.25 x55 +2.50

That compares to the 1st prescription in plus form:

OD: -11.75 +0.75 x150

OS: 11.00 +0.50 x 019 +2.50

Does that help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I missed typed the 1st perscripton and it should be

OD is correct

OS is -11.00 + .50 x 018

+2.50 to both eyes.

The perscription that is currently in my glasses is

OD -12.00 - 0.25 x 016

OS - 11.50 - 0.50 x 115

+2.50 add to both

How does this measure with the minus perscription?

How much difference will this make?

Also your answers have been very helpful. I'm glad there is someone out there to explain this to me on a better level as I have been very frustrated with the quality of eye care that I have received. I know it is difficult with the high perscription that I have and it is becoming more difficult to see as crisply as I would like. I teach physical education, therefore needing to see students out on a field and then having to record skill scores in a grade book as well as working on a computer. Please bear with me as I try to become more clear on what is really going on with my perscription.

Thanks for letting me know about the typo. The typo is in the axis (direction) of the astigmatism and it amounts to 1 degree difference, so essentially the same.

Your glasses prescription in plus form is:

OD: -12.25 +0.25 x106

OS: -12.00 +0.50 x 25

So comparing both new prescriptions to your current glasses, the 1st prescription has a little less nearsightedness (myopia) in OD with a bit more astigmatism in a different axis and OS has a little less myopia and similar astigmatism powers and axis. Your glasses compared to prescription two show only a hair more myopia and same astigmatism power with a little different axis in OD. In OS the myopia is a little less, with less astigmatism.

So In prescription two OD is relatively the same as OD in glasses and OS is a little less powered as far as myopia than in OS in glasses. The 1st prescription probably has a little more change to both OD and OS than in your current glasses. So, if you feel like your vision has changed significantly since your last glasses prescription, then you may consider getting prescription #1. If not, you may consider #2 if you even want to get new glasses (you may choose to not get them since neither of them are a large change). Of course, I don't know how your vision measures in your glasses and in prescriptions #1 and #2, so if one gives better vision, you ought to go with that.

I hope that was helpful.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology