Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I had optic neuritis last october, also floarter and flashes

Customer Question

I had optic neuritis last october, also floarter and flashes last july. Got new glasses still have blurry vision, floaters, wavy lines shimmering and occasional pain.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

After optic neuritis , the visual recovery is pretty good in most of the cases but some residual defect is possible due to remnant optic nerve dysfunction. This may not improve with glasses. The floaters and flashes is likely due to another phenomenon as in posterior vitreous detachment , in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached . It does not require any treatment as it is likely to remain the same. Rarely this may result in traction on the peripheral retina , causing retinal holes or tears which if found can be sealed with lasers. A routine retina check up can help to determine this ( can be done any time later). If you ever experience any sudden reduction in vision , then you may need to consult an ophthalmologist urgently to rule out any recurrance. As long as the vision is good with the distance and near correction glasses , things should be fine.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem is that my vision is still blurry, etc with my new glasses & I don't know what to do.
Thank you for the reply .

If the best corrected visual acuity ( vision with glasses ) is not good enough , then it does indicate some amount of residual optic nerve dysfunction, which cannot be further improved with glasses. This needs to be verified by a retina exam ( dilating drops are put to dilate the pupils and the retina and optic nerve are visualised ) to see if there is slight pallor of the disc. Though there is no definitive treatment for this , Methylcobalamine capsules once a day can be tried for 1 month( are available over the counter).

Thanks and best wishes