Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have a continuing eye problem which I have had for over 3

I have a continuing eye problem which I have had for over 3 months now. Following a friend of mine squeezing my head between his knees to tickle me when I was sitting on the floor, my vision has been altered - it feels like my left eye jumped further forward than the right one and it is a strain to look at anything - and I have had continuous headaches of varying degrees. When I look at anything, it feels like the left eye swoops out and jumps before focusing. I have seen a neurologist and had an MRI, which was clear and have seen numerous opticians and opthamologists , all of which say that my head and eye is fine. However, it has been found that I have a 'slip' in the eye cover test and when I did the Maddox Rod test, I found it almost impossible to line up the vertical red line over the dot in the vertical position (no problems with horizontal). The optician reported that I needed 5 dioptres of BO prism, but did not comment further as I was due to see the neurologist. I found that the red vertical line was moving all over the place and found the line itself difficult to see in the vertical position. I am currently awaiting another appointment with an opthamologist. I have a pulsing sensation behind my eye which feels like it's pressing against a nerve and it hurts - especially as the day wears on. My vision is uncomfortable with contact lenses and glasses, as I don't feel that I have a 'flat' line of vision any more. I truly feel that my eye has changed shaped after it was squeezed. Can anyone help me please as this is driving me crazy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

What you are describing seems that you have received a mild amount of trauma to your eye. The trauma might have injured or caused an inflammation in one of the eye muscles - the fact that your maddox rod test is positive. These kind of injuries might not be very obvious in a routine eye examination. But the good news is that most of these injuries heal over time. In very few cases the symptoms might decrease and not recover fully.

I would recommend you to use the prism glasses, for a comfortable vision, take oral anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen for a week to 10 days even in absence of pain to take care of the inflammation and use lubricating eye drops like genteal/refresh tears/optive etc.

Regards

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)