Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, I have a lump on the bottom of my right eye, in with my

Customer Question

Hi, I have a lump on the bottom of my right eye, in with my eyelashes, its been there for a couple of years now and it never used to bother me, but it really does now. I went to the doctors and they said they could do an operation on it to remove it but id be awake-doesnt sound fun!!! Is there anything else that I could do to get rid of it. I cant describe how it looks properly, its soft and unpainful and every so often a little bit at the bottom goes black and i can pull the end off-gross I know! please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

A lump at the bottom of the eye for years is most likely to be a chalazion ( chronic inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland present in the lids, can affect the lower lid too though incidence is more in upper lid as we tend to rub upperlids more than lowerlids). Most often it is treated with a minor surgical procedure done under local anesthesia ( quite a safe procedure ). If it is very small then intralesional steroid injection can be given ( but it can be a bit painful and can rarely cause skin depigmentation at the site of injection ).

I know you would hate the idea of undergoing a surgery for this but I guess it is better than steroid injection if it is large enough to be visible to the naked eye. A steroid injection would be better if it were to be better felt than seen ( moreover it is difficult to do any surgey in such a tiny swelling).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist