Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My 2 year old has had a small raised area shaped like a ball

My 2 year old has had a small raised area shaped like a ball underneath her eye crease for about 3 weeks. She woke up with the eye swollen and droopy. Slight crusty stuff in each corner. I wiped her eye clean and overnight everything was normal except for the raised area. You are only able to see the ball when she is reading or sleeping. Should I try Simalean Stye eyedrops, warm compress or make a PED appt. Thx

Please email the answer [email protected]
Our cellular service is not listed as a choice for text message.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is likely to be a chalazion ( as it is painless and present for over 3 weeks). It would need warm compresses ( you can try it playfully as child may refuse it if forced), I would not like to comment on the simolean stye eye drops as they are not of allopathic origin and are homeopathic ( which I'm not well verse with ). Warm compresses alone can help the swelling to reduce gradually over weeks. If she ever developes acute signs like pain, tenderness, increased swelling , then she will need to get her eyes examined by an opthalmologist as she may require a short course of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Desai,

Thank you for your opinion. I applied the warm compress several times late last night while she was sleeping. This morning a thin line of yellow crust was covering her lower eyelid (very little). I wiped her eye with a warm washcloth and baby soap and the pressure caused some additions (what seemed to look like oil) discharge from her eye. Hope this is good?? Also I understand that thera tears foam lid cleaner or ocusoft foam lid cleaner and eye cleaning pads are good over the counter products to use. Your opinion and if there are any additional over the counter products you suggest?? Awaiting your reply and thanks so very much:-))

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

You have been doing just right so far and can continue with the same. When we massage or press the lids firmly , the pressure causes the small oil secreting glands in the eyelids to express their secretions and is normal. But try to avoid pressure as it may inturn cause a blocked duct ( which is why children get styes/chalazions as they do tend to rub eyes vigourously due to various reasons). Lubricating eye drops like over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day can help in soothening the eye and avoid crusts to form. You will need to consult an ophthalmologist if acute symptoms appear as pain or tenderness in the swelling ( as mentioned earlier).

I wish her well.