Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hello, my right upper eyelid has been swollen since last thrusday.

hello, my right upper eyelid has been swollen since last thrusday. i went to ophthalmologist on fri. he rx doxceycycline. on sunday i called into his office because swelling had not gone down, and the area between the eyelid and eyebrow was slightly swollen as well, not much. they then gave me maxitrol ointment...i used it one day, but discontinued because i have herpes and one of contraindications said not to use with herpes. monday, yesterday and today, the swelling kind of goes down toward end of the day, but i wake just as swollen. this morning it was crusty as well. i called into drs. office, they said maxitrol was ok to use, since i do not have ocular herpes, so i applied it today. i am scheduled to see the surgeon at the ophtam. office tomorrow. what could be the cause of this swelling? i am starting to worry.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Eyelid swelling is commonly due to a few different things: 1. Allergies, 2. Styes, 3. Skin infections. Allergic dermatitis tends to be red and flaky with a "boggy" or mushy type of swelling and often the person has a history of seasonal allergies. A stye can cause inflammation and swelling in the eyelid if it gets big and angry enough. A skin infection would be warm, red, swelling that feels more solid. You also may have a concurrent sinus problem and possibly fevers. I agree that the maxitrol is okay to use as your herpes infection is not in the eye. Cool compresses usually do a good job at helping swelling go down, but I would continue the doxycycline and the maxitrol until you see the ophthalmologist tomorrow. Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

well its not red and flaky, and no allergies ever here. its not coming to a head or point like a stye dr. said it prob was not. its not warm and red, and never any sinus problems and no fever.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any eye pain, eye redness, sensitivity to light or double vision?

Customer:

no, none of that

Customer:

doesnt bother me one bit

Doctor DanB :

Other causes of eyelid swelling include more uncommon things such as inflammation in the orbit (bones and space around the eye), thyroid disease (often times is undiagnosed at this point) or generalized retention of water.

Customer:

any other symptoms with thyroid disease?

Customer:

well...i dont have any other symptoms

Customer:

hmmm...i guess ill just have to see what they tell me tomorrow

Customer:

should i be going to a optho, or general dr. or ?

Doctor DanB :

I would definitely go to an ophthalmologist; you'd likely end up there anyway with more time, money, and angst spent with the general dr.

Customer:

ok, well thanks for your input

Doctor DanB :

thanks for your question. Good luck.

Customer:

thanks