Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have an ulcer looking infection on the inside of my lower

I have an ulcer looking infection on the inside of my lower lid. I was given doxyciclin and then cipro eye drops. Still not better. Have some small stye like puss on two eyelashes.
What's up
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Does it hurt?

Dr. James :

What else have you tried?

Customer:

No. I cannot wear my contacts and it is swollen. I cannot tell if it spreads or what. Was told it was a blocked duct that got infected. Not sure that is correct because of the lesionn

Dr. James :

A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain. Sometimes the stye can cause an infection that spread throughout the eyelid. In this case, antibiotics pills are needed. If you notice increasing swelling or pain, see your primary care doctor or ophthalmologist for a prescription.

Since it has been 3 weeks already, you may have something called a chalazion. This is where the material inside is much firmer and not easily drained with warm compresses alone. You may need to have it drained by an ophthalmologist. This is done with local anesthetic and is common procedure done in the office.

Customer:

The antibiotics haven't worked...steroids were mentioned by injection. I keep hoping it will improve but i am worried that it is an ulcer type of lesion.

Dr. James :

Chalazion are not ulcers. The material inside the bump hardened glandular material. It is unlikely to resolved by itself if it has been there for 3 weeks.

Dr. James :

Injection of steroid into the lesion is an option, but the most common treatment is with incision and drainage in the office by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

ok...we are talking down low in the inside of th lower eye socket.

Dr. James :

Is it on the eyelid?

Customer:

very bottom inside lower pocket

Dr. James :

Yes, it can still be a chalazion.

Customer:

ok...I guess I will make another trip to the doctor. Thanks for your help!

Dr. James :

You're welcome. Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon