Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have recently developed dark puffy circles under my eyes.

I have recently developed dark puffy circles under my eyes. What can I do to get rid of this condition?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

Kindly give some more information regarding your question-

- what is your age and gender?

- are you on any medicines?

- any recent illness or change of diet or stress?

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 84 years old. Female
Medicines- Levothroxine 112MCG tablet
-Vivelle (dot)0.025
-Alendronate 70MG tablets
No recent illness or change of diet or stress
I am very active and in generally excellant health.
I have been using "Refresh" tears Lubricant eye drops twice a day.
Thank you
Betty Weston

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

The cause of puffiness of eyes can be due to -

- an allergy. Allergies can present in different people with different symptoms. SOme might ave itching in the eyes, others might have skin allergy while in some it might be present as puffiness of eyes. Taking oral anti-histaminic like benadryl or cetrizine will help along with cold compresses on the eyes.

- the other possibility is a swelling of the kidney. In naphrotic syndrome or inflammation of the kidney, the presenting symptom is usually puffiness of lower eye lids.

I would recommend you also to get a urine routine examination done to rule out the possibility of a kidney involvement.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In your reply you referred to "puffiness of the lower eye lids" -- Nether eye "lid" is puffy.
It is directly under the eyes that is puffy and has a very slight blue cast as it there maybe some pooling of liquid there. With this information, do you have any other suggestions? I did buy some over the counter Bausch&Lomb Opcon-A eye Allergy Relief and will give that a try. Do you have an opinon about that?
Thank you,
Betty Weston
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

I am not very clear regarding your symptoms.

You say your eyelids are not involved. Is the swelling inside the eye or is is involving the eyelid just below the eyelashes or more down below?

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Puffiness is directly under the lower eyelids. It appears to be pooling of liquid causing the puffiness. There is a slightly blue cast to the puffied skin. I have been using "Refresh" eye drops hoping that might help but it has not so far. Can you suggest any remendy to try? Thank you.
Betty Weston
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

The exact cause of the pooling of fluid needs to be found out, before starting treatment. As I said before there are two main causes - one is allergy and other is any kidney problem. Since you do not have nay itching, allergy seems to b e less likely.

I would recommend you to consult your doctor and get a urine protein evaluation done as soon as possible. SIne you have no symptoms in the eye as such, there is no need to use any eye drops at present, till you have been evaluated.

Regards

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)