Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i am 45 years old,i very nearsided and i wore glasses but still

i am 45 years old,i very nearsided and i wore glasses but still can read at a normal how a know if iam a good candidate for laser surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Do you know what the power of your prescription?
Do you wear bifocals?
When was your eye exam?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont really know, i dont use bifocals, last year was my last eye exam
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

For the most part, most people will meet the requirements for having laser corrective surgery. Many doctors will provide pre-operative testing and consultation to determine if you are good candidate. The keys factors in determining your eligibility would be the thickness of your cornea and any other eye conditions such as history of previous infections, dry eyes, or cataracts.

The second part the consider is will the laser meet your expectations. I assume you are considering this because you want to do away with glasses. You have a moderate prescription if you are able to read without glasses.

The laser surgery will allow you to see at the distance without glasses. Because of your age, you may have difficulty reading after the surgery and may need to wear over the counter reading glasses.

To answer your question if you are a good candidate, you likely are. That is dependent on your corneal thickness and any other eye conditions detected during routine examinations. If you choose to have the laser vision to allow you to see at distance, you may need to wear reading glasses after words.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.