I have gone through your question and would like some more information in chronological order -
- you experienced first symptoms on June 1, 2010. Did the symptoms persist through out or did they occur periodically?
- are there any associated headaches with the visual symptoms?
- how long did the visual symptoms last - minutes, hours?
- how did they get relieved - by rest, eye drops, pain killers?
- presently what medicines are you taking?
- when you consulted an Ophthalmologist did you get any tests for the retina done like - OCT, FFA (angiography of the eye).
- do you have family history of migraine headaches?
- any other symptoms besides visual symptoms?
- since when are you on medicines for depression?
A: Not only have they persisted out - per my detailed response new symptoms have come about. No symptoms that have occurred or resolved only new symptoms.
A: I usually will wake up with a headache and often times have mild to moderate headahces throughout the day. Before this I got headaches only once in a while that went away using over the counter meds. But the visual symptoms persist even without the headache.
Once I have gotten each visual symptom it has been persistent since the day I got it. I.e. glare feedback and streaks since June 9 the day I had my Florescin Angiogram. This happens when I blink most noticably and depending on my head angle occassionally when I don't.
Rest only helps the fact that I'm tired - eye drops only mildly helped the dry eye nothing else and painkillers haven't solved any problems.
Mega Men Multi Vitamin
Vitamin D 50,000 I.U 1 per week b/c my vitamin d number came back 17. Before the incident it was 23 then before that 29.
I had a FFA - normal - except I started getting starbursts (firecracker effect) around many light sources and light streaking (when blinking) after this test. I get this glare feedback even when blinking and using things like a television or cell phone. It's simply awful. It seemed to get worse after July 15 appointment where i had a Peripheral Retinal test (results came back normal) 10 pics each eye. Now I see starbursts around more light sources and even on ones there shouldn't be like a belt buckle in direct sunlight I will see a little starburst. None of this has improved yet. 6 weeks since the FFA and 2 weeks since Perif ret. I can't image how or why either of these tests would make things worse that just doen't compute for me.
Can Florescin stay in the blood or the eye and cause problems - can it be detected or removed?
OCT was done several times with no abnormalities found
Glocoma test was normal
Amsler Grid testeing has always been normal
Slit Lamp Normal
Corneal topogreaphy and additional corneal tests all normal
Peripheral acuity test (test for blind spots - done several times all normal)
My vision acuity with the galsses I wores teh same day as tehe event hasn't changed it has either been 20/20 or 20/15 in each eye.
Basically every test covdered conventionally in a opthamologist or retinal specialist eye exam has been done multipel times except the ffa which was only done wonce. I am scared to ever have that again because of what ha happened with that and the other birght camer test I have had done on the peripheral retina.
HELP ME ?????
Fundus exam was normal
the only eye issue found by any doctor was that I was read /greeen color blind which have been since I was little.
Yes ears have hurt occassionally but more of a dull ache. It's mainly the right ear but sometimes the left. Occassional nausia in mornings.Somtimes I have felt weak in the mornings as well.
Almost 2 weeks. I had a breakdown and just couldn't hanlde living. No answers to my symptoms every doctor basically has no explanation and I feel like this was never going to go away. As such I wento a pscyh for help. because i felt like i wanted to end it - the visual disturbances have been that much of a change and that hard for me to handle. This sucks plain and simple and I just want my life back of 2 1/2 months ago. I can't image what I did would cause so much shit to happen. The symptoms all have persisted (see detailed list in previous response). The meds have helped my mood but not my eye symps.
Thank you for the information.
The symptoms you are experiencing can be due to problem in the eye or at the Neurological level.
Since all your detailed eye examination and repeated investigations are normal, it rules out an eye involvement.
The most probable case seems to be Neurological. Though you have been reviewed by a Neurologist and a neuro-ophthalmologist, your symptoms indicate that you are most probably having ocular migraine. This is a variant of normal migraine headache. It usually presents with visual symptoms like yours - haloes, distortion, glare etc. These symptoms might or might not be accompanied by a headache. Usually the symptoms of the ocular or ophthalmic migraine resolve after sometime. They occur in attacks. Rarely, in some cases they might be persistent. The diagnosis of ophthalmic or ocular migraine is usually reached by ruling out other problems like a lesion in the brain, any inflammatory neurological process etc (which has been done in your case). There are medicines to abort the acute attack and to prevent further attacks to a large extent. Medicines like propranolol have shown good results in treatment of ocular migraine. To abort an acute attack anti-inflammatories in combination with caffeine and ergotamine in them usually helps. Patients who are sensitive to ergotamines, respond to to sumatriptan.
I would recommend you to discuss the possibility of ocular migraine with your doctor and to start you on treatment for the same.
Hope this information helps.
I am glad to be of help.
1. Vitreous floaters can be seen in cases of detachment of vitreous from the retina (seen normally in old age, high myopes etc), in cases of uveitis (inflammation of the eye). What you are describing are not vitreous floaters. They are visual haloes etc.
2. Ocular supplements and other supplements like fish oil etc help in degenerative conditions of the eye to some extent like age related macular degeneration etc.
3. the damage to the retina or macula caused by sun is usually seen in eclipse or just before full sunrise etc. This is because when the sun is bright during day, a person is not able to look at the sun sufficiently for any damage. The bright sun rays make it impossible for the eye to concentrate on the sun for damage to occur. In any case, the damage usually caused is in the macula and is picked up by FFA and OCT.
4. We have a retinal pigment epithelium layer which regenerates dead cells in the retina normally in all individuals
5. I do not believe you have solar retinopathy. I have seen patients of solar retinopathy. They do not have symptoms like yours and as I said they are easily diagnosed on a retinal examination and further by FFA or OT.
6. A tear film examination is done on slit lamp by putting a fluorescein dye strip and checking the tear break up time and doing a schirmer's test. Patency of punctum can be checked by doing syringing. If you do not have constant tearing in your eyes and if you get a taste in throat when intilling eye drops in your eye, then your punctum is patent.
7. A wavefront test can wait at present
8. If your pineal cyst is small and not increased in size, then no need to worry. The symptoms are mostly neurological - hydrocephalus etc. The visual symptoms that can occur are usually paralysis in a particular gaze. Your symptoms seem not to be related to pineal cyst
9. Eyelids and eyelashes do not cause glare and symptoms like yours
10. You do not seem to have symptoms like an epilepsy, so EEG can wait.
11. At present I feel all blood work should be put on hold and a trial for ocular migraine treatment should be tried.
12. Palinopsia has been seen in some patients of ocular migraine. FFA or any retinal tests do not cause Palinopsia. Stress, anxiety etc can cause ocular migraine.
13. Sun and pineal gland do not seem to have caused your symptoms. It is merely a coincidence.
14. FFA as you have read does not cause any lasting effects. SO your symptoms worsening are not caused by FFA. The stomach upset might have been in reaction to the dye injected during FFA, which can occur in some patients.
15. Let me assure you, all the tests done on you do not cause any of the symptoms that you are experiencing.
16. If your diagnosis is ocular migraine then you should respond to the treatment well and be relieved of the symptoms. Ocular migraine responds well to treatment.
Dear XXXXX, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX to recover fast and hope that a correct diagnosis is reached and treatment initiated as soon as possible.
All the best.
What I can gather is that you are very upset with your symptoms (understandably so). The questions that you are asking are more or less similar to the previous ones. Still let me explain.
Metamorphopsia etc will be easily picked by by tests like Amsler grid. You do not seem to have any problem in the eye, which has been verified by the various tests done on your eye. As far as rods and cones are concerned, any defect in them would not present with various symptoms like yours. So there is no role of electroretinogram or electrooculogram at present in your case. The visual symptoms of ocular migraine can vary a lot from patient to patient - floaters, different colors, after images, distorted images, central loss of vision, star burst phenomenon, diplopia or double vision, light sensitivity etc. There is no hard and fast rule that each patient of ocular migraine will have same set of symptoms.
As I wrote before your problem seems to be Neurological in origin. I have encountered and treated cases of ocular migraine who have presented with totally different symptoms than seen in normal patients of ocular migraine. The good news is that most of the patients respond well to treatment.
Since you have an appointment with the Neuro-ophthalmologist next week, I would recommend you not to worry and discuss this possibility with your doctor. Worrying will only worsen your symptoms. You seem already have a lot of information overload after extensive reading. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX not to get confused further and just try to relax as far as possible. I know it is tough, but I guess that is the option for you.
I hope you recover fast and fully.
I am more than happy to help you.
I a more than happy to help you.
Thanks for the kind words,
There is direct connection between ativan/ zoloft use and palinopsia,