Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

7 year old girl complaining of blue halo around objects and

7 year old girl complaining of blue halo around objects and blurry vision, also black keys on piano grey.

Hello and thanks for your question. One of the first things I think of when someone says they have colored halos and blurry vision is swelling in the cornea, often times from an acute glaucoma attack. Without redness or eye pain, this is unlikely.

Secondly, something that affects the cornea and/or tear film overlying the cornea can cause these alterations in vision. Dry eyes, allergies, or infections in the front of the eye can cause these. If there is no redness or pain, infection is less likely. If she has significant itching of the eyes then allergies may be the cause. Something you can do between now and then is to use artificial tears several times today as well as cool compresses. These are conservative therapies which have no chance of harming the eye, nor should they change the way her eyes appear on the exam tomorrow. I would recommend not buying artificial tears that say get-the-red-out, or redness-reliever as this extra chemical could irritate the eyes and mask any of her signs/symptoms.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.