Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

eye doctor..eyes..me I had a mole on my eye, which kind of freaked me

I went to my eye doctor/ optometrist for my annual eye exam/new glasses 2 years ago and it was the first time I had my eyes dialated in years. She told me I had a mole on my eye, which kind of freaked me out, she said it was nothing to worry about, that moles can grow anywhere. I had them checked again last August, same thing, nothing to worry about. I recently met a girl whose sister got a melanoma on her eyeball and had to have her eye removed and it spread and she has cancer on her liver now I believe...anyway, it then made me think about this mole on my eyeball....so I am scheduled to see an opthamologist in a couple of weeks. Is a mole on your eyeball common? can it ever effect your eyesight? anything I should be concerned with?
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

A mole in your eye, usually underneath the retina, is a fairly common occurrence. The vast majority ot these never change into anything suspicious or concerning, but there is that small chance. If you are followed regularly by an ophthalmologist (once a year), that doctor can follow the appearance of it and if it starts to change in appearance then further tests can be done to determine whether it has turned malignant or not. Often times these melanomas grow without any effect on the eyesight which makes their progression silent--all the more reason to be regular in your follow-up exams. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but rather just be diligent about regular exams for this. Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.