Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have small pupils. They remain small no matter what the light

I have small pupils. They remain small no matter what the light intensity is. I have no problems seeing in any lighted condition. Why do I have small pupils?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The causes of small pupil include side effect of medications, aging effect on the iris dilator muscle, damage to iris dilator nerves/muscles, over action of iris constricting nerves/muscles, horner's syndrome due to damage to the sympathetic nerve (usually this tend to affect one eye, so unlikely in this case). It is likely that you may be experiencing the effect from either medication side effect, normal variation of small pupil, or effect of aging on pupil size. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any abnormal eye nerve problem. In the meantime, you should not be concerned, as it does not affect your vision, but follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation..

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.