Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My right eye tends to wander away throughout the day. I sit

My right eye tends to wander away throughout the day. I sit at a computer all day and eventually it will start to hurt (pain and scratch) so I am forced to constantly close my eyes and regroup. The odd thing is I can usually survive the weekend with out glasses or much pain b/c in the morinng my eye feels the best it does all day (I assume computer is causing problems but either way my left eye never has problems). I started using artificial tears after seeing a specialist who doesn't believe my eye is lazy even though I saw the specialist after my regular eye doctor said I do have a lazy eye and that my eye will continue to get worse. Therefore, I am worried my eye is going lazy b/c it goes out of focus more often than the left eye and always want to be shut. The tears do not seem to help. I am looking for an explanation b/c it is affecting how I live and work. Any help/recommendation will be appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

There does seem to be some imbalance in the eye muscles such as a convergence insufficiency which is why the eye tends to wander more after near work ,like computer work. The muscles can be strenghtened with some eye exercises like - Hold a pencil at your arm's length and look at its tip, slowly bring it closer to the eyes without taking your eyes off it till it gets blurred. Repeat it 10 times and such sessions can be done twice a day. You may need to continue the exercises for few months atleast before you see any results. If the problem persists then you will need to verify your glasses again and try a small prism in the right lens to bring it to focus properly.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Do continue the lubricating eye drops and don't stop using them atleast for 2-3 months, as dry eyes is more often seen in persons sitting in front of the computer for long hours.

Thank you