Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

ive been tested and found to have cataracts in both eyes.

i've been tested and found to have cataract's in both eyes. I'm 67 years old and have been using OTC readers since i turned 40. I don't have any problem seeing distances, just reading issues. testing showed i had a estagmatism. dr wang suggested i havepresbyopia lens vs monofocal which will be additional cost not covered by humana ins. later i would need to go in and have lasik laser done. I' told that monofocal lens would require me to continue to use readers. what's your advice.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is true that if you go ahead with monofocal lens , it only caters to improving the distance vision and post-surgery you will need to continue the reading glasses( would need customised readers and not the otc ones as you would then need reading correction along with correction of your astigmatism). In case of multifocal lenses , they are structured in such a way that they cater to both distance and near vision. The lasik was probably suggested to tackle the astigmatism later. Strictly speaking the second option is better but would need a bit of adjustment with the multifocal lenses in situ. The first option is more cost effective but you will need to compulsorily need glasses post-op again maybe a multifocal progressive glass as you would need distance correction of your pre-op astigmatism and reading correction. I suggest you go with multifocal lens( presbyopic intraocular lens) and lasik correction later. If your surgeon is well verse with limbal relaxing incision ( LRI ) with the suggested cataract surgery then you may not need lasik later.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist