Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

lost must of vision in right eye.have doctor appt. in a week.

lost must of vision in right eye.have doctor appt. in a week. should i go to imediate care for a scan before going to doctor.reason for waiting do not have way to drive 70 miles myself i am 73 years old did not have an accident or injury blood pressure 150 over 90 i take no medicines at all. have not been checked for diabeties in over a year
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Over what period of time has the vision deteriorated so much ? Was it in hours/days/weeks/months?

Has there been any history of glaucoma?

Do you have any pain/watering/redness in that eye ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO HISTORY OF GLAUCOMA STARTED HAVING PROBLEM ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO BUT ONLLY NOTICED IT WAS AS BAD AS IT IS A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO I STILL SEE VERY GOOD OUT OF THE LEFT EYE I HAVE NEVER WORN GLASSES ONLY READERS SOME TIMES.NO PAIN NO WATERING I HAVE BEN SNEEZING A LOT IN THE PAST WEEKS HAVE HAD A STOPPED UP NOSE MIGHT BE JUST COINCEDENT THIS HAPPENED ABOUT SAME TIME
Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Three weeks is not a very long time and moreover the worsening has been only since a few days, so I would think in terms of retinal vein occlusion/ macular edema ( if diabetic), optic neuritis. But I don't think this could be due to any sudden eye problem which requires emergency care right away like a retinal detachment/ retinal artery occlusion. This does require the expertise of an ophthalmologist as specific tests need to be done to reach to a specific diagnosis. A CT scan will only help in optic neuritis to rule out multiple sclerosis , but is not done as any emergency procedure. The sneezing and blocked nose is certainly co-incidental. I guess you need to wait for your check up with your ophthalmologist.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist