Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Is it normal to see floaters/strings and black spots/dots in

Is it normal to see floaters/strings and black spots/dots in your eyes? I am a healthy 45 year old male with no medical problems besides mild high BP that is controlled with Benicar 20mg. I had Laser correction surgey 15 years ago and currently need bifocal glasses. My recent eye doctor checkup and medical physical was normal. It especially happens after looking at a computer screen or TV for several hours.

Welcome to Just Answer

There is a possibility of a posterior vitreous detachment( PVD). The thick gel at the back of the eye called vitreous gets detached in this condition due to various factors like aging, diabetes, trauma, high myopia. It is a harmless condition per se but needs a routine retina exam just to rule out any retinal tear/hole due to traction on the retina. If found the tears can be sealed by lasers. This condition does not need any specific treatment except a routine retina exam( which you can do at your next eye check up also). It is likely to be a constant feature and can be learnt to be ignored . Sometimes it may drift out of the visual field also.

Long hours in front of the computer or television can cause dry eyes , for which it is better to use over the counter lubricating eye drops like Refresh tears , 1 drop 4 times a day.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist